Khokana; A village situated on the outskirts of Patan
Khokana, the village’s name origin is the subject of an intriguing rumor that goes around the corner. The Newari word “Khokana,” which means “narrating while weeping,” is the source of the word Khokana.
According to legend, a priest after being declared dead was taken to the bank of Bagmati River for cremation along with his wife for Sati. (Sati was one of the cruel rituals that were practiced in medieval times in Nepal where the wives of the dead person go to burn alive with him.)
The process of cremation was delayed by the torrential rain, and the priest who had been declared dead somehow came back to life during that time period. However, after returning back to life, he and his wife were abandoned by the villagers.
Because the Hindu religion forbids re-entering a person into the same society who has already been proclaimed dead. Thus, they were forced to leave the village. They then proceeded to the Shikali shrine and begged her to help them. They cry as they tell her their story.
Goddess Shikali then gave the couple a new village, which was named Khokana. Because they narrated their story to her while weeping, thus the village was named Khokana.
Besides the story, this place is quite famous for an authentic newari settlement. On the outskirts of Patan, about 8 kilometers south of Kathmandu, lies this traditional and small Newari village of Khokana. Since ancient times, it has been famous for producing rich mustard oil. In addition, it was the first town in Nepal to have electricity installed in 1911 AD, under Rana Prime Minister Chandra Shamsher.
Khokana also represents a traditional village and its history of manufacturing mustard-oil seeds. That is why it has been proposed for UNESCO World Heritage status.